- February 22, 2017|
- Category: Edison, NJ, Facts about Your Eyes, Garden City, NJ, New York, NY, Paramus, NJ
You know that dehydration is bad for the body. Did you know that it is dangerous for the eyes too? We cover some of the best ways to tell if you need to drink more water to help your eyes feel better and operate like normal.
Signs of eye dryness (dehydration)
- Eye pain
- Itchy eyes
- Eyes that feel dry
- Red eyes
- Irritated eyes
Top way to know when your eyes need you to drink more water
When you cannot produce enough tears, or you cannot manage to cry at all, then you are in serious need of water. You should be able to cry on demand, like an actor or actress, if your eyes are hydrated enough. If you have no tears to shed, then it is vital to get those eight glasses of water a day to feel better.
Why tears are so important to the eye
Tears keep the eyes hydrated so that you can blink normally. When dehydrated, it may become hard to blink. You may find that they sting. With proper hydration, these eye problems can become prolonged dry eye disease. You may find that you get headaches. Blinking keeps out dust, dirt, eyelashes, and other debris that can scratch your eyes.
Eye care tips from the professionals
- Drink at least eight, 8 oz. glasses of water a day
- Give your eyes a break from computer and phone screens at least every 20 minutes
- Get eight hours of sleep
- Contact your eye doctor if you have severe dry eyes
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a well-balanced, healthy meal three times a day
- Wear sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection
- Wear safety glasses when working
By following the eye care tips from Manhattan Lasik Center, you can keep your eyes in good shape. To find out if you should look into Lasik eye surgery, check out the blogs on eye care and Lasik. Our experts are available to answer any questions.